I oppose the latest proposal for the redevelopment of the former Balmain Leagues Club site.
There remains an opportunity to clean up the current eye sore, and have a reasonable development of the site but the current proposal cannot be supported for the following reasons:
- The eight and twelve storey towers are completely out of proportion with the surrounding pattern of development in Rozelle.
- Surrounding residences and businesses will have unacceptable impacts from overshadowing and overlooking.
- The enormous scale of the retail component (including supermarket) and 135 apartments will generate traffic volumes that will overwhelm local streets and threaten our main street businesses.
- There is no guarantee that Balmain Leagues Club will return to the site.
- There is no guarantee the pedestrian bridge will be constructed.