Bays Precinct Public Interest Petition
We call on the Government to...
- ensure that the Bays Precinct Urban Renewal Project follows a democratic and open process
- to enable public and private interests to come together creatively and imaginatively
- to ensure that the outcome will be a worthy of the site and of Sydney's status as a global city
- to properly protect the public interest.
To achieve this, the Bays Precinct planning process must ensure:
- Precedence is given to the public good as a driving overarching principle for the renewal of these publicly owned foreshores and bays;
- That the community of Sydney is able to fully engage in all stages of the planning process;
- Excellence in planning and design for all development proposals by designating clear, publicly endorsed planning principles developed by the Bays Precinct Community Reference Group and actively seeking local and international ideas for renewal;
- That all unsolicited development proposals relating to any Bays Precinct public land or waters be subject to open competitive tenders and proper public scrutiny;
- That there be no alienation of the Bays Precinct foreshores from public ownership by sale or long term lease;
- That high priority be given to the inclusion of social and affordable housing as a significant element of any residential uses;
- That continuous public access to the harbour foreshore be a core principle for all development in the Bays Precinct;
- That a significant proportion of the 80 plus hectares of publicly owned lands be retained for public uses including open space; and
- The creative adaption and re-use of key heritage items such as the White Bay Power Station and the Glebe Island Bridge.