Submissions on the development application close 5pm Friday 4 December 2015 so please make sure you have your say.
The developer is back with a new proposal for two towers of eight and twelve storeys, 135 apartments, 369 car spaces, large retail area, a proposed pedestrian bridge over Victoria Road. There is also space for the leagues club, but at market rent!
It is yet another over-development of the site that will lead to traffic gridlock, ruin our high street retail and monster the surrounding residents.
The developer has already taken the application to the Land and Environment Court where it will be determined early next year.
Your submission to Leichhardt Council is important. It will demonstrate to the Court the strong feeling that exists in the community about this excessive development.
All submissions will be delivered to Council before the deadline. You can find more information on Council's website.
I have been working for close to 10 years to ensure that we have appropriate and sustainable development on this site, and I thank all of you who have worked so hard to protect what is special about our community.
Jamie Parker MP
Member for Balmain
Manager of Assessments
PO Box 45
Leichhardt NSW 2040
Submission: D/2015/438 138-152 Victoria Road ROZELLE
I write to outline my strong opposition to the latest proposal for the redevelopment of the former Balmain Leagues Club site.
There remains an opportunity to clean up the current eye sore, and have a reasonable development of the site but the current proposal cannot be supported for the following reasons:
- The eight and twelve storey towers are completely out of proportion with the surrounding pattern of development in Rozelle.
- Surrounding residences and businesses will have unacceptable impacts from overshadowing and overlooking.
- The enormous scale of the retail component (including supermarket) and 135 apartments will generate traffic volumes that will overwhelm local streets and threaten our main street businesses.
- There is no guarantee that Balmain Leagues Club will return to the site.
- There is no guarantee the pedestrian bridge will be constructed.
[please add further comments below to personalise your submission]