Have your say on WestConnex
Sign our community submission to the WestConnex Stage 3 Environmental Impact Statement, which is currently on exhibition for public comment.
Read the submission organised by community group Leichhardt Against WestConnex regarding the Darley Road mid-point tunnelling site.
If you have made any donations to a political party, or would like to make your own detailed submission, you can do so at this page. You might want to mention some of these additional reasons for objecting to WestConnex stage 3.
Please add your name to our community submission below. The deadline is 16th October.
Attn: Secretary, re: WestConnex M4- M5 Link EIS, project number SSI 16_7485
I write to express my strong objection to the WestConnex M4-M5 Link tollroad proposal.
- Building WestConnex will increase air pollution and global warming and encourage more car use, quickly filling the increased road capacity.
- Increasing vehicle use by inducing more cars onto the road increases the risks related to climate change, including extreme rainfall and extreme heat events.
- This stage of WestConnex also facilitates the building of the Western Harbour Tunnel, which will see tunnels bored under the Balmain peninsula and generate a need for yet more exhaust stacks in and around Balmain.
- WestConnex is not a sustainable solution to Sydney's congestion problem. It will have unacceptable impacts on the health and well-being of local communities, such as increasing toxic pollution levels from unfiltered exhaust smoke stacks located near schools and parks, especially in Rozelle.
- The government has not committed to a genuine consultation process - it released this M4-M5 Link proposal just two weeks after submissions closed for comment on the concept design, and only provided an eight week consultation period. This does not allow sufficient time for submissions from the community.