Improving public access to Blackwattle Bay and the harbour foreshore should be a top planning priority for our local area.
But the NSW Government is proposing a massive residential and shopping development at the current site of the Sydney Fish Market that will monster the foreshore and limit public access to Blackwattle Bay forever.
The Blackwattle Bay ‘Revitalisation’ Plan will:
- See up to 1,700 apartments built at the current Fish Market site without a plan for new schools, parks, critically needed social housing or basic infrastructure.
- Mirror development patterns in the CBD rather than being inspired by Glebe and Pyrmont. Proposed 45 storey residential towers will be higher than the Anzac Bridge pylons.
- Turn the waterfront into a glorified shopping precinct with private restaurants and businesses given prime foreshore positioning at the expense of public open space.
- Bring traffic chaos, with an additional 6 million visitors per year in addition to the proposed 1,700 new dwellings but no significant plan for more public transport.
- Privatise 70% of the site for apartments, offices and shops. The remaining 30% will be used for walk-ways, roads and a small portion of greenspace – most of which is actually under the Western Distributor in shade.
Instead of doing what is best for our community and the city, the government is trying to generate as much money as possible from this site to cover the ballooning $750 million cost of the Sydney Fish Market relocation.
The Blackwattle Bay ‘Revitalisation’ Plan is open for public consultation until Friday 19 June. Please make a submission to tell the government that our community wants a plan for this site that prioritises public access and greenspace not over-development.
A number of local community organisations are also opposed to this proposal including the Glebe Society, Pyrmont Action, Bays Community Coalition and Ultimo Village Voice – more info here.