Western Harbour Tunnel Public Meeting
The government has just released the Environmental Impact Statement (EIS) for the Western Harbour Tunnel, a north-south underground motorway to connect Rozelle with the Warringah Freeway.
The EIS lays out the route for the project and how it will impact residents and our environment. It includes plans for:
- An additional exhaust stack at Rozelle Goods Yards;
- An off-shore construction site at Yurulbin Point which will force the temporary closure of Birchgrove Ferry Wharf and Yurulbin Park. 229 properties in Birchgrove are expected to be subject to high noise levels;
- A casting plant at White Bay to fabricate tunnel tubes, generating significant noise and vibrations;
- Dredging of 10 hectares of deep water soft sediment, contaminating harbour waters and threatening native sea life. Dredged materials that are so toxic they can’t be dumped off-shore will be barged to White Bay, ‘stabilised’ then trucked to landfill; and
- A construction site at the former Balmain Leagues Club site with 27 homes predicted to be highly noise affected.
Campaigning with the community, we have already successfully changed tunnel routes and defeated dive site proposals for other tollway projects. Now I need your help to tell the Minister for Transport that he needs to go back to the drawing board with this plan.
Join me at a public meeting to hear how this project will impact our community and what you can do.
370 Darling St
Balmain, NSW 2041
Google map and directions