Greens candidate for Balmain Jamie Parker spoke passionately about the vital community services provided by Glebe Post Office to hundreds of residents who attended today's rally to save the threatened post office.
In the coming weeks Australia Post plans to close 27 postal outlets across Australia, Glebe Post Office amongst them.
The event was organised by the local action group which has a fantastic job organising the rally. Special thanks go to all of the people in the high visibility vests who managed the protest so well and especially to Jan Wilson and Robyn Kemmis who co-ordinated the action. In his speech Jamie thanked the organisers and highlighted the issues to the gathered crowd.
This sale comes despite Australia Post being a company owned by the Gillard Labor Government and despite Labor having made a commitment to keep open post offices in its “Keeping Australia Post Public” policy. This policy states that Labor will ensure Australia Post retail outlets remain publicly owned and operated.
The Labor Government has the power to stop this closure but so far has failed to act!
The Greens are concerned because:
- Many residents, particularly those less mobile, are reliant on the Glebe Post Office to pay bills, Housing NSW rent and to carry out other essential day to day tasks.
- Removing the Glebe Post Office will drain the economic vitality from Glebe Point Road.
- In the near future the state government will be building around 1500 new dwellings in Forest Lodge and Cowper st, meaning there will be further demand for a post office in Glebe.
Australia Post claims the Glebe Post Office is not profitable, however despite this Australia Post made $103 million in profit in 2009-10. So there is no financial imperative to close a much valued post office such as Glebe.
The Greens also believe not all Post Offices should be expected to return a profit - they provide a critical community service and should be funded appropriately.
The Greens and the community have won these campaigns before!
Greens Melbourne MP Adam Bandt, working with the postal workers union and students, was successful in stopping the closure of Melbourne University Post Office
What have we been doing about Glebe Post Office?
- Leichhardt Mayor Jamie Parker and City of Sydney Councillors are working with the community and Greens MPs to pressure the Labor government to reverse this decision.
- Senator Scott Ludlam, Greens communication spokesperson, has written to the Gillard government calling for the 27 planned closures to be reversed
Join the Save Our Post Office campaign – take action:
- Talk to neighbours and friends about why we mustn’t lose this essential service.
- Write to the Prime Minister Julia Gillard and ask her to take action.
- Write a letter to local papers and call talk back radio.
If we lose Glebe Post Office it’s gone for ever!
For more information or to help the Greens in their campaign to save Glebe Post Office add your comments in support below email us.
The event was organised by the local action group which has a fantastic job organising the rally. Special thanks go to all the people in the high visibility vests who managed the protest so well and especially to Jan Wilson and Robyn Kemmis who co-ordinated the action. A great job by all involved!