The NSW Liberal government is proposing to drastically change the planning laws, which will remove many of your rights to have a say on developments that directly affect you.
Make your voice heard - tell Premier O’Farrell that you want him to legislate to protect your rights in planning:
Sign our online petition here
The changes will mean up to 80% of all development applications can be approved in 10 to 25 days without any community notification or input.
It’s important that you are informed about what these changes will mean for you.
Greens MP Jamie Parker is hosting a local planning forum:
When: 7pm Thursday 8 August 2013
Where: Annandale Town Hall, 79 Johnston Street, Annandale
Corinne Fisher - Better Planning Network (a coalition of over 300 community groups working for better planning laws)
Cerin Loane - Nature Conservation Council
David Shoebridge - Greens NSW planning spokesperson
Jamie Parker - Greens Member for balmain
RSVP: 9660 7586 or [email protected]
Under the changes, your involvement would be limited to up-front strategic plans and there will be almost no avenue for you to appeal against controversial or inappropriate developments, including apartments and houses in your street.
Council’s ability to protect heritage and diversity would be removed and there is no mention of environmental considerations such as planning for climate change.
For decades Labor’s corrupt planning system held this State in its thrall, running on developer favours while sidelining residents and genuine planning. The Liberal government was elected on the promise of reforming Labor’s disastrous system however the proposed changes show that Premier O’Farrell intends to make it even worse.
Jamie will continue to fight for appropriate development and the rights of residents to have a say in planning. If you’re unable to attend the forum and would like to discuss these matters with Jamie directly, please call 9660 7586.
Your guide to the proposed new planning laws
The proposed planning reforms remove your right to have a say on many developments in your community, including controversial houses and apartments in your own street. Changes include:
• Up to 80% of development may be approved in 10-25 days without any community notification or input and will no longer be required to undergo a full environmental or social impact assessment.
• New taxes on existing residents in order to subsidise unprofitable and damaging urban sprawl.
• Key planning decisions on land use handed over to unelected regional bodies dominated by Ministerial appointees.
• Heritage and environmental protections significantly reduced.
• Expanded use of developer-paid private certifiers to assess and approve the majority of developments.
• Significant increase in the risk of corruption associated with planning and development decisions (as identified by ICAC: “Planning reforms target for corruption: ICAC,” Sydney Morning Herald, 2 July 2013).
Make your voice heard - tell Premier O’Farrell that you want him to legislate to protect your rights in planning.
Sign our online petition here