A great turnout last week for my public meeting at the site of the proposed six-storey residential tower on Balmain Road, Lilyfield.
Like local residents and businesses, I'm appalled by the scale of the overdevelopment and its implications for the community.
Since a planning proposal was submitted by the owner, we have already achieved a small reduction to the scale of the building. The original proposal was for a nine-storey building with 170 units. The developer has now withdrawn this and submitted a new proposal for a six-storey building with 142 units. However, it’s clearly still a gross overdevelopment.
This development, if built, would:
- Impose an enormous out of scale overdevelopment on the area;
- Lead to excessive traffic;
- Cause the eviction of staff on the site and over 50 artists in one+2 art studio;
- Undermine the employment opportunities generated by the current site;
- Set an undesirable precedent for development in the area.
I've written to the Greater Sydney Commission and the Minister for Planning to seek an urgent meeting. I'll be working closely with residents on the next step in our campaign.
If you are affected by this development and would like to stay in touch, don't hesitate to contact my office.