We had an astounding 340 local residents turn out to our WestConnex Stage 3a Public Meeting in Feb. This sends a powerful message to the government and NSW Labor that our community doesn't want this destructive toll-road.
Our meeting was featured on the front page of the Sydney Morning Herald. Read the full article here.
The government has recently released the tunnel route for WestConnex Stage 3a. Homes which sit within the identified ‘zone of influence’ of the proposed tunnel route in Leichhardt, Annandale and Camperdown may be impacted.
I'm concerned that:
- The government will compulsorily acquire land beneath properties in the area without offering compensation or an appeals process.
- The shallow depth of tunnels increases the risk of serious, permanent damage to homes as well as ground noise and vibration.
- The current proposal ignores the recent experience of residents in Strathfield, Concord and Homebush who have seen huge cracks form through their homes as contractors burrow to build the M4 East.
I've included some key resources from the meeting. If you have friends or neighbours who weren't able to make it to the meeting please feel free to share these links:
- Presentation slides from the day are available for download here;
- The interactive tunnel map showing individual tunnel depths for all properties is here;
- You can sign the online petition here; and
- The form letter to The Premier and construction companies is here.
I am committed to working on behalf of all local residents to push the government and NSW Labor to scrap this destructive tollway in favour of public transport. I will keep you posted on our progress as this campaign moves forward.