Transport for NSW has proposed a number of radical changes to traffic and parking in Leichhardt in an attempt to manage traffic increases caused by WestConnex.
The changes are designed to divert arterial traffic into local streets by closing off streets and removing resident parking spaces, mature street trees and roundabouts. See the full proposal here.
If this proposal goes ahead, it will have a huge impact on our local area. In particular I'm concerned that:
- Removing access to Darley Road from north of the City West Link will push more traffic onto local streets
- Removing the right-hand turn from Norton St northbound into the City West Link will push more traffic onto local streets
- Removing resident parking and street trees negatively impacts the liveability of Leichhardt and amenity for local residents
- There will be a negative impact on local cycling and walking routes
- No traffic modelling has been made available
Over 150 local residents attended my public meeting via Zoom on Saturday 9 May, now it's time to have your say:
- Comment on individual issues with the proposal on the interactive portal here
- Submit an objection to the whole proposal using our template submission letter
Remember – a submission made in your own words is powerful. This guide isn't exhaustive so please make sure you include some detail about how this proposal will impact you, your family and your neighbourhood.
A group of residents in Leichhardt have also prepared a strong, detailed submission which is available here.